Safety and Health Management Symposium
Date and Location
Tuesday, August 28 – Friday, August 31, 2018.
Gaylord Opryland Convention Center.
Safety and Health regulations
Safety and Health Management helps organisations to continually improve their safety performance. Furthermore, it ensures that the companies comply to health and safety legislation and standards. The main goal of these standards is to ensure a healthy and safe working environment for every individual. Big enterprises, as well as small startups, have to comply with these regulations in order to be able to hire personnel. One of the main aims of safety and health regulations is to prevent illnesses and injuries at a workspace. Furthermore, the regulations have to be continuously improved in order to adequately function in a rapidly developing company. For example, the employer has to identify and control the existing risks in all workplace operations.
Safety management systems consist of six main elements.
- Safety plan. The safety plan ensures that every employee knows his or her safety obligations. Moreover, the safety plan is usually part of the company’s business plan.
- Policies, procedures and processes. Policies, procedures and processes include all safety paperwork within the company. This paperwork will describe all safety behavior, expectations, and all the necessary additional documentation.
- Training and induction. Every employee and even every long-term visitor of the company should receive the necessary safety training and instructions.
- Monitoring. The employer has to monitor the workplace safety management. Furthermore, detailed monitoring processes are employed during an accident investigation.
- Supervision. To ensure the workers are carrying out their safety obligations the employer has to organise a supervision process.
- Reporting. Reporting is especially necessary for the continuous improvement of the safety regulations.
One of the most often problems with safety regulations is the asbestos problem. Since the early 90’s the construction of almost every building worldwide included asbestos-based materials. Steel beams and columns of multistory buildings made use of asbestos, due to its fireproof qualities. Concrete, asphalt and vinyl materials included asbestos, because of its strength properties. Its heat-resistant qualities made asbestos the perfect thermal insulation. However, asbestos becomes dangerous when it is damaged. It then poses a health risk to building occupants due to the release of asbestos fibers into the air.
Nowadays this problem and the possible solutions to it are getting more and more attention. Asbestos in buildings is being located and removed or replaced. The workers disturbing the material receive the necessary training.
Asbestos problem is only one of the many existing health and safety management issues. These issues, as well as the new advantages in the field, are discussed in the annual VPPPA symposium.
The Voluntary Protection Programs Participants’ Association (VPPPA) is organizing the symposium. This Symposium offers various educational sessions for health and safety professionals. This year they are also partnering with Tennessee Safety & Health Conference (TSHC).
You can check here for the symposium agenda.
VPPPA is the leading organization dedicated to cooperative occupational safety, health and environmental management systems. It is a non-profit charitable organisation, existing since 1985. For the list of all VPPPA conferences please check here.
Since 1977, the TSHC has been a joint project between the Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) and the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE). They offer an agenda of knowledge and expertise that can be used for the promotion, increased awareness, and implementation of safety and health practices in the workplace. Among the lectures, courses and workshops offered at the symposium is a special 10-Hour Safety Course. During that course the participants will learn about the best and most modern health and safety workplace standards. Moreover, the participants will receive a federal OSHA 10-hour completion card and an extensive library of compliance materials.
TSHC also offers a scholarship to full or part-time students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in occupational safety & health or a closely related field. The students must be enrolled at an accredited university within the 150-mile radius of the state of Tennessee. You can check here for application and additional information.
For more information on health and sustainability conferences – please check our Blog.